In a press release, Spain’s National Commission on Markets and Competition (CNMC) says it’s initiated disciplinary proceedings against Apple and Amazon for possible restrictive competition practices. Here’s the key points of the press release:
• Apple and Amazon could have agreed to trade restrictions on the Amazon website in Spain.
• This would affect the retail sale of Apple products by third parties and the advertising of competing Apple products.
• The companies’ behaviors could reduce competition in the Internet retail market for electronic products.
- In addition, they could strengthen Amazon’s position in the sector of providing marketing services to third-party retailers through online platforms (Marketplace) in Spain.
Specifically, the possible unlawful conduct would consist of an agreement between both groups that would include possible restrictions on the Amazon website in Spain ( https://www.amazon.es/ ) regarding:
- The retail sale of Apple products by third parties;
- Certain advertising of competing Apple products and certain campaigns directed at Apple customers by Amazon;
- Other commercial restrictions.
Article provided with permission from AppleWorld.Today