PRESS RELEASE — For Immediate Release
For more information, contact:
product info and screen shots at (http://www.mindvision.com)
If you do not wish to receive press releases from us, or
if you prefer to receive them at a different address,
please let us know at (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
MINDVISION SHIPS INSTALLER VISE 5.5
Takes software delivery solutions to the next level
MindVision today announces the immediate availability of Installer VISE
5.5, a major upgrade to the industry standard Macintosh installer solution.
“Not only are our thousands of customers our #1 marketing resource, they
are our best source of ideas for new features. Every feature in Installer
VISE 5.5 is a result of ideas from our customers,” said Steve Kiene, CEO of
MindVision. “We are a customer-driven company. With the renewed developer
interest in the Macintosh platform, MindVision continues to work harder
than ever to produce the best software delivery tools to our thousands of
We keep raising the standard by which installers are measured. Installer
VISE 5.5 puts the power into developers’ hands to build the best installers
with the strongest localization support, the most current Mac OS 8.5
support, and the most complete automation.
Installer VISE has earned the trust and admiration of thousands of
developers for its great feature set, rock-solid reliability, and
unparalleled responsiveness to customer needs. We work with our customers
to quickly improve our products to meet their needs. Developers can be
confident that their customers will enjoy a great first impression of the
software they install with Installer VISE.
Fully-functional copies of Installer VISE 5.5 are available for downloading
HIGHLIGHTS OF INSTALLER VISE 5.5
Here are some highlights of what’s new in Installer VISE 5.5:
– Package dependencies. When the end-user selects or deselects a particular
package, the installer can automatically select/deselect other packages
based on configurable dependencies.
– On-screen archive reports. Easily examine all aspects of your installation
in a variety of formats. Quickly find potential problems.
– Package build directives. In addition to files, you can now conditionally
include or exclude any packages from your finished installer. Great for
creating different configurations of the same product.
– Mac OS 8.5 savvy. Mac OS 8.5 adds and changes many things which affect
installers. Installer VISE 5.5 is tested and ready for 8.5.
– Billboard sets. Now it’s a snap to create multiple “sets” of billboards
to be used in different circumstances. Great for multi-language
– Localization enhancements. Many aspects of creating localized and
multi-language installers have been enhanced.
– Improved automation when updating your installer archive. Installer VISE
automatically “sees” new files, adds them to your archive, and correctly
configures installation options based on your previous actions.
Installer VISE 5.5 includes an entirely new assortment of real-world
examples. Each example includes documentation, source files, and archives
set up specifically to show you how to get the most out of Installer VISE.
The examples include:
– ReadWrite – read or write data in a file during the installation. Modify
an existing or newly installed file, and change either the data fork or
the resource fork.
– 68K, PPC, Fat – how to install architecture-specific versions
– Plug-Ins – Use variables to handle install logic differences. Uses Netscape
and Internet Explorer to conditionally install different files.
– Build automation – Automate a build with AppleScript.
– Backup – save the existing version of a file before installing the new one.
– Default Install Location – make it easy for users to simply click Install.
– Embedded archive – include other archives; this is great for reuse, as well
as structured packaging of your components.
– Gestalt – check Gestalt values to decide whether to install system-
– Install and launch an application
– Launch an existing application
– Online customer registration
– Key code – have the user enter a registration code before installing
– Profiler – using different gestalt values, variables, and a form, display
system configuration info to the user. Also submit the info by email to
the developer for troubleshooting.
– Smart Uninstall – demonstrates the differences between the default
uninstaller and smart uninstallers you can build by adding delete
actions to remove items created by your software after installation.
– Wizard – create a wizard-style installer where the user steps through
several screens before proceeding with an install.
– Play a sound at any point during the install process
– Play an asynchronous sound throughout the install process
– Play a QuickTime movie
WHAT’S NOT NEW
– Our unmatched dedication to provide the very best tech support in the
industry at the same old price. FREE!
– Our ongoing support of qualified shareware and freeware authors with free
access to full-strength professional installer tools.
– A feature set designed specifically to meet the needs of our thousands of
customers, from the smallest to the largest. Installer VISE is used to
build the most complicated software installations on the Macintosh.
– The great set of features introduced with Installer VISE 5.0 earlier this
year. See the following web page for details:
(http://www.mindvision.com/Products/IVISE/IVISE_Index.html). In short,
Installer VISE 5.0 delivered a web installer, a reorganized user interface,
custom layouts, flexible report printing, a project window, embedded
archives, multiple build destinations, build directives, enhanced
billboards, user-definable forms, streamlined localization, enhanced action
items, precise icon positioning, runtime variables, and selectable user
interface options for end users. In addition, Installer VISE 5.0 included
all of the functionality of Updater VISE built right in.
– Fast and easy BinHex/MacBinary support for Internet downloads
– Features you can’t get anywhere else, including:
* Embedded archives to easily modularize your installation
* Custom forms, dialogs, and message boxes to interact with the user
* Variables to graphically add programming-level power to your installer
* Online customer registration
* Build directives to customize your installations
* Customizable builder interface
* Task assistants to make getting started and putting the polish on
installers easier than ever
If you build installers, Installer VISE 5.5 gives you more of what you
want, and with more help than ever before. If you deliver software or
content without an installer, there’s never been a better time to start
using Installer VISE.
Screen shots are available at our web site (http://www.mindvision.com).
More features and more details can be found in the Installer VISE 5.5
manual, also available at the web site.
Download Installer VISE 5.5 from (http://www.mindvision.com). While you’re
there, experience first-hand our Active Setup web installer for yourself.
You’ll see why developers all over the world choose Installer VISE.
POINTS OF COMPARISON
When making a comparison between installer tools, here are some points
– Industry acceptance. Installer VISE is used by Microsoft, Adobe,
MetaCreations, Metrowerks, FileMaker, AOL, Symantec, Apple, Dantz, Intuit,
MacSoft, Netscape, Connectix, and most other major software companies. They
didn’t all start with Installer VISE, but they all use it now.
– Innovation. Installer VISE has consistently been the first to market with
the powerful features customers want. While others claim to have the same
features, the proof is in the use. We encourage you to compare for
– A company focused on developers. MindVision has been exclusively selling
installation tools for over 7 years. That’s all we do.
– World-ready. Installer VISE can create installers in 16 languages.
– Ready for Mac OS 8.5. Installer VISE can automatically install items into
any of the new Mac OS 8.5 special folders.
– Macintosh and Windows installers. MindVision recognizes that many Mac
software companies are also working on Windows versions of their products.
By offering installers for both platforms we eliminate the headache from
having to use a cryptic script-based Windows installer. MindVision also
offers Installer VISE Lite, a more focused, lower-cost installer for
smaller Macintosh customers.
– A company that cares. We always have, and always will offer our installer
tools for free to shareware developers. We don’t limit our offer to one
Founded eleven years ago, MindVision Software is a recognized industry
leader specializing in software delivery solutions for Macintosh and
Windows. Installer VISE has long been the industry standard installer for
the Macintosh, and is rapidly gaining recognition as an excellent choice
for Windows. Thousands of software companies, including Adobe, Microsoft,
Apple, Netscape, Macromedia, MacSoft, AOL, Connectix, and FileMaker have
come to rely on our software to deliver professional, easy-to-use
installers to their customers.
Completely functional evaluation versions of MindVision products can be
obtained directly from the MindVision Web site at
http://www.mindvision.com, by calling (402) 477-3269, or by sending e-mail