Apple has paid a couple in Tokyo, Japan, ¥600,000 (approx. $7,400) for medical fees and pain and suffering when the first-generation iPod nano spontaneously burst into flames, causing burns to the hand that took more than a month to completely heal, according to “Cult of Mac” (

The device, which was purchased back in 2005, overheated and caught fire while charging in July 2010. When pressed for comment on this case, a representative for Apple Japan told Nikkei: ”we cannot comment without confirming with our American head office.”