Apple To Offer Popular eMac to Consumers
17-Inch Flat CRT eMac Most Affordable G4 System Ever
CUPERTINO, California-June 4, 2002-Due to strong consumer demand, Apple=AE
today announced the immediate availability of its new eMac=81 to consumers.
Originally offered to just education customers, the eMac was launched in
April to rave reviews and has since generated tremendous interest from
Apple is offering a new CD-RW and modem configuration eMac through all of
its retail channels. The eMac features a stunning 17-inch flat CRT and a
powerful 700 MHz PowerPC G4 processor in a remarkably compact design that
is 8 mm less deep than the original 15-inch iMac=AE. Priced for retail at
just $1,099 (US), the eMac is the most affordable PowerPC G4 system ever.
“Consumers have pounded on the table demanding to buy the eMac, and we
agree,” said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. “The eMac’s production ramp is ahead of
schedule, so we’ll have enough eMacs this quarter to satisfy both our
education and non-education customers.”
All eMacs include Apple’s award-winning suite of digital lifestyle software
including iPhoto=81 for managing and sharing digital photographs, iMovie=81 =
for creating digital movies, and iTunes=81 2 for creating a digital music
library. With five USB ports and two FireWire=AE ports, eMac provides easy
plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as digital video
camcorders, digital still cameras, printers and scanners.
The eMac for consumers includes:
* 17-inch flat CRT display (16-inch diagonal) with up to 1280-by-960 pixels
in 24-bit color;
* 700 MHz PowerPC G4 processor;
* 128MB SDRAM;
* CD-RW optical drive;
* 40GB ATA Hard Drive;
* built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet;
* a 56K V.90 modem;
* support for optional AirPort=AE (IEEE 802.11) wireless networking;
* integrated 16-watt digital amplifier and stereo speakers for great stereo
* an audio-in port, headphone jack and microphone;
* NVIDIA GeForce2 MX AGP 2X graphics with 32MB of Double Data Rate (DDR)
video memory for outstanding 3D performance;
* Apple’s optical Pro mouse and full-size Apple Pro Keyboard;
* Mac=AE OS X version 10.1.4, Mac OS 9.2.2; and
* an incredible software bundle including Quicken Deluxe 2002, AppleWorks=AE=
QuickTime=AE, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mac OS X Mail, WorldBook Mac OS X
Edition, PCalc, OttoMatic, Deimos Rising and Acrobat Reader.
Pricing & Availability
eMac is available immediately from the Apple Store (www.apple.com), at
Apple’s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers at a suggested
retail price of $1,099 (US).
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple
II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh.
Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to
students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world
through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.