RUNTIME LABS ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF MacSQL 2.2
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW YORK – April 1, 2002 – Runtime Labs, a premiere provider of Mac
developer tools, today announced the release and immediate availability of
MacSQL 2.2. MacSQL is a robust solution for database management on the
Macintosh. A fully Applescriptable application, MacSQL provides web
authors, publishers, and developers with a simple, graphical way to
interact with SQL databases. Version 2.2 is a free update to MacSQL 2.0,
released in August 2001.
MacSQL 2.2 supports communicating with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server,
FrontBase, MySQL, PostgreSQL (Max OS X only) and ODBC (Mac 9 only).
MacSQL 2.2 includes many new and upgraded features from MacSQL 2.1:
* FileMaker Pro Assistant for synchronizing SQL tables with FileMaker
* New and improved spreadsheet on Mac OS X.
* Ability to add/edit columns from the Schema Viewer.
* Native Oracle support on Mac OS X.
* Improved SQL Server support on Mac OS X.
* Text imports are approximately 5x faster.
* Queries in Query Maker are approximately 3x faster.
* Unicode support in various areas (including assistants, scripts menu,
recent documents menu).
* Improved Aqua support on Mac OS X.
* FrontBase plugin updated to work with FrontBase 3.5.
* Errors logged to global error log window.
* MySQL connections will auto-reconnect on Mac OS X if the connection is
* Numerous bug fixes and performance enhancements.
These upgrades are enhancements to the existing MacSQL feature set:
* Ability to connect to MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, and ODBC database servers.
* Runs natively on MacOS 9 and MacOS X.
* Spreadsheet-like viewing/editing of remote data.
* Web Script Assistant that will generate PHP or Embeded Perl to interact
with a database.
* Complete AppleScript support including recordability and the ability to
save frequently used queries as scripts for later execution.
* Create Table Tool to help visually design tables.
* Multi-panel display of schema including databases, tables, columns, and
* Ability to export data as SQL commands, tab-delimited text, comma
separated text, or directly to Microsoft Excel.
* Import of SQL files and data in CSV or Tab-delimited text files.
* Recent documents for easy access to frequently used databases.
MacSQL is commercial software, and costs US$249 to purchase. A Lite version
is available for US$99. A demo version, which expires after 10 days, is
MacSQL 2.2 requires a PowerPC computer running Mac OS X or MacOS 9.x with
CarbonLib 1.5 or greater installed. ODBC support requires the Merant ODBC
Driver Manager. Oracle support requires that appropriate drivers are
Where to Download
MacSQL 2.2 and MacSQL 2.2 Lite can be purchased at
(http://www.rtlabs.com/store)/. All versions can be downloaded at
Current MacSQL 2.1 license holders can upgrade to 2.2 at no cost by
downloading the latest version and utlizing their current serial number.
About Runtime Labs
Runtime Labs is a small, highly skilled software development shop
established in July 2000. Runtime Labs develops innovative software
products while providing its developers with the best possible environment
to explore their creativity. MacSQL 2.0 was the company’s first commercial
product release, having previously released numerous freeware and shareware