Apple Powers Up Titanium PowerBook G4 with New G4 Processors
New PowerBook Line Includes High Speed Graphics & Larger Hard Drives
CUPERTINO, California-October 16, 2001-Apple=AE today introduced its new lin=
of Titanium PowerBook=AE G4 notebooks with faster processors, high speed
graphics and larger hard drives. The new PowerBook G4 line offers a
significant performance boost with new PowerPC G4 processors up to 667 MHz,
a new system bus running up to 133 MHz, speedy new ATI Mobility Radeon AGP
4X graphics and built-in Gibabit Ethernet networking=D1the first time ever i=
Creative professionals will benefit from the new larger hard drives up to
48GB and the new optional CD-RW slot-loading optical drives. The new
PowerBook G4s now include both the new Mac=AE OS X version 10.1 and Mac OS
“The new Titanium PowerBook G4 is the world’s thinnest and lightest
professional notebook and offers stunning improvements in both video and
processor performance,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior director of
Hardware Product Marketing. “We’ve made the fastest portable in the world
The super-light, yet incredibly powerful new Titanium PowerBook G4 features:
* 1-inch thick Titanium metal body weighing just 5.3 pounds*;
* a stunning 15.2 inch (diagonal) TFT wide-screen active-matrix display;
* new 550 MHz or 667 MHz PowerPC G4 processors with Velocity Engine=81 and
256K of on-chip level 2 cache, running at full processor speed;
* new 133 MHz system bus in 667 MHz model and 100 MHz system bus in 550
* 128MB or 256MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
* slot-loading DVD-ROM drive or new slot-loading CD-RW drive option;
* new ATI Mobility Radeon graphics with AGP 4X and 16MB DDR video memory;
* new built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet;
* new 20GB or 30GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drives standard, with drives up to
* up to 5 hours of battery life on one Lithium-ion battery;
* AirPort=AE card now pre-installed on 667 MHz model, with antennas and
slot for wireless networking on all models;
* USB, FireWire=AE, VGA and S-video output;
* new Mac OS X version 10.1, Apple’s next-generation operating system
installed, as well as Classic Mac OS 9.2.1; and
* a new small, lightweight power adapter.
Offering blazing performance, the new 550 MHz Titanium PowerBook G4 offers
a 100 MHz system bus, while the 667 MHz model features a 133 MHz system
bus. Tapping into that power, the new Titanium PowerBook G4 outperforms
Pentium III-based 1.13GHz notebook systems on average by 48 percent*. Both
models provide advanced graphics and fast 3D rendering with the ATI
Mobility Radeon graphics processor with AGP 4X support and 16MB of fast DDR
The new Titanium PowerBook G4 continues to set the standard for mobile
communications with both built-in Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T) and
802.11-based AirPort technology for 11 megabit per second wireless
communications. The new 667 MHz PowerBook G4 comes standard with both
Gigabit Ethernet and AirPort wireless networking pre-installed. The new 550
MHz PowerBook G4 also includes Gigabit Ethernet and the ability to add
AirPort wireless networking as an option.
PowerBook G4 customers can now choose to configure their system with a
CD-RW drive to manage their digital music collection on the go using
Apple’s pre-installed iTunes=81 software, the world’s best and easiest-to-us=
“jukebox” software, and also burn customized music CDs or create data CDs
for file sharing and backup with Apple’s Disc Burner software. With Apple’s
iMovie=81 2, the world’s most popular, easy-to-use consumer digital video
editing software which comes pre-installed, or Apple’s award-winning Final
Cut Pro=AE professional video editing, effects and compositing software, the
PowerBook G4 is the ultimate system for portable video editing.
Pricing & Availability
The new PowerBook G4 line is available immediately through The Apple Store=
(www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers in
two standard configurations.
The 550 MHz PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $2,199 (US),
* 128MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
* a 20GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive; and
* AirPort ready with integrated antennas and card slot.
The 667 MHz PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US),
* 256MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
* a 30GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive; and
* AirPort enabled with integrated antennas and pre-installed AirPort Card.
For a limited time, the two new standard Titanium PowerBook G4
configurations will ship with double the amount of RAM at no additional
cost to the customer. For more information on Apple’s Double for Nothing
RAM promotion, please go to www.apple.com/promo/.
Additional build-to-order options for the new PowerBook G4 include: a CD-RW
optical drive, 48GB hard drive; up to 1GB of SDRAM; the AirPort Base
Station and AirPort Card; and the AppleCare Protection Plan.
* Weight includes battery and DVD drive, and varies by configuration and
manufacturing process. ** Based on 9 commonly used actions in Adobe
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple
II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh.
Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to
students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world
through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.