Black Diamond Products today announced the release of the first public beta
of version 3 of its popular download manager Monica for Macintosh.
Monica is a queue based file download program for the Mac for downloading
files from the Internet using ftp, Hotline and http protocols.
Monica allows you to easily set up a download queue by dragging and
dropping or cutting and pasting file URLs. Having placed some files in the
queue, you may manually start each download at a time convenient to you, or
allow Monica to start downloading automatically. In automatic mode, once a
file is received Monica will start the next one. If the server times you
out or if the download is incomplete, Monica will restart the download and
do her best to resume from where the download left off, while you can go
off to more pleasant occupations.
Monica achieves exceptional download throughput by utilising queue
technology, optimised processing of Internet protocols, and by extensive
use of transfer resumption techniques.
Monica a great time saver for people who download many or large files off
Changes in this version are extensive. Much of the underlying code has been
redesigned and rewritten. Key changes include:
* Improved handling of buggy FTP servers
* Improved handling of many HTTP servers
* Better handling of queue-enabled Hotline servers
* Redesigned main screen
* More efficient queue handling
* Documentation in HTML
* Ability to show/hide download windows easily
* Facility to change number of concurrent downloads on the fly
* Addition of a ( beta ) FTP Loader helper application
* Improved stability ( compiled in REALbasic 3.0 )
Monica is available for the Mac and is shareware, priced at $20 for a
single user license.
Monica is written by Peter Job and published by Black Diamond Products.
To read more, or to download the trial version, go to:
Black Diamond Products develops internet applications for the Mac and the
PC. Its products include:
* Bopalong, the file manipulation utility for the Mac
* FileFone, a simple peer-to-peer “phone” for sending files for Mac and PC
* WebiToome, for receiving files via your web page for Mac and PC
* SockeToome, the peer-to-peer private transfer tool for Mac and PC
* Monica, the very popular Mac download manager
* Hefty FTP, the Mac FTP client
* NewsFinder, an application for Mac and PC for finding open NNTP servers
* Sgt. Zondi, a personal web search spider for the Mac