From: email@example.com (Jesse Jones)
Subject: [ANN] Raven 1.5
I’m happy to announce that Raven 1.5 is available. You can find it at
Raven is a free C++ application framework similar to PowerPlant and MacApp.
The changes in 1.5 are as follows:
* Stack crawl doesn’t have symbol names if virtual memory is on.
* DTS has confirmed a bug in the 1.0.1 Appearance Extension: if a window’s
procID is kWindowModalDialogProc or kWindowAlertProc the window is not
actually modal (ie the user can switch out of the app).
* When using native floating windows the NavServices dialogs don’t activate
until they’re clicked (OS 8.5f2). Note that this is reproducible with the
Nav Services sample code.
+ CustomGetFile seems to hang if InitFloatingWindows is called (OS 8.5f2).
+ The SIOUX window won’t drag if a floater is visible (this is a SIOUX bug).
+ There’s now a Raven web page at:
There’s also a mailing list. To join send email to
(firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Subscribe Raven” in the body of the
+ Examples no longer ship with implicit warning conversion enabled (because
requires lots of changes to MSL).
+ The example projects were built using the 3.2 Universal Headers. If
using these headers you’ll need to remove WindowsLib and ControlsLib in order
to build any of the examples.
* For the next version of Raven I hope to use a cross platform portability
This will likely be packaged as a stand alone class library. It will contain
most of the features found in Raven’s Foundation and Core layers. To prepare
the way I’ve made the following changes:
* Raven’s naming conventions have been simplified: classes consisting of only
static methods use the standard T prefix instead of U. Mixin classes start
with T instead of M and end in Mixin. The new library will use X for cross
platform classes, M for Mac classes, and W for Win32 classes. * Removed
HAS_ANSI_EXCEPTIONS and the typedefs mapping standard exception
classes to Raven style names.
* Dropped TLongPoint, TLongSize, and TLongRect. Changed TPoint, TSize, and
TRect so that they use int32. (Note that this will work better in Carbon
as well as Win32). The only problem with doing this is interfacing to the
toolbox. I originaly retained the conversion operators using 8-item static
buffers, but this could lead to nasty bugs if the item was still in use when
the buffer wrapped around. So, by default, the conversion operators are
(you can define IMPLICIT_GEOM_CONV to enable them). If you need to interface to
the toolbox you need to use either GetOSPoint or GetOSRect.
* Disabled streaming of TPoint, TSize, and TRect. This was done because it’s
not always possible to determine if a saved object is 16 or 32 bits. To
stream these objects you can make use of temporary objects defined in
ZStreaming.h. They’re used like this: stream )) TSize16(mSize) and stream
This involves a lot of renaming so I’ve created a drag and drop app called
BatchRenamer to handle the tedious bits. Note that TLongPoint, TLongSize,
TLongRect are not renamed since you’ll want to handle these differently if
+ modeDoesActivateOnFGSwitch Size flag should be enabled (TApplication ctor
ASSERT if it’s not).
+ All example projects/targets weak link to InterfaceLib. You’ll have to do
well if you want to run on Systems prior to 8.5.
Bug Fixes and Design Changes:
+ Made significant changes to TDropApp:
– TDropApp now handles iterating over files in folders.
– The error reporting has been significantly improved. For example, the user
will now be told which file the app was working on if an exception occurs.
– mErrorExit, mCancelExit, and mNumProcessedFiles members have been added to
enable better messages when the app exits.
+ TApplication::HandleInit calls AddDialogFilter (instead of the ctor).
This avoids an ASSERT in TApplication::Invariant if a dialog was posed
while the app was initializing.
+ Fixed the TRACEFLOW in TCommanderMixin::HandleMenuCommand (it was printing a
std::string without using c_str).
+ Tweaked TFloatingDesktop::SelectWindow so that it works if there are pending
+ TDesktop::AutoPosition correctly handles cases where modal dialog is
+ ZBuildWindowRegions builds the window regions if the window is invisible
structure region is empty (used to be AND which could fail if the app was
+ TRowSelection::HandleNewTableSize zaps the current selection.
+ Tweaked TPopupMenu so that it no longer ASSERTs when reanimated with
+ TPopupMenu mutators invalidate instead of letting the Control Manager
control (note that the old code wasn’t setting up the port so the Control
wound up drawing the menu in weird places).
+ Updated TPopupTable SWindowAttr initialization (wasn’t working properly
with OS 8.5).
+ ZThumbTracker::OnTrackStop lets the Control Manager redraw the scrollbar
will un-hilite after you drag the thumb in the Gizmo or Hi-Tech themes).
+ TStandardFile::GetFile was using the wrong item number with non-empty
+ TInStream::Resurrect no longer keeps a partially initialized object in
cache if an exception is thrown.
+ Added some missing ByteSwap calls to TInStream.
+ Fixed a (really) bad cast in TFileSpec::GetPath and TFolderSpec::GetPath.
+ ZInput.cpp and ZDialogUtils.cpp use BUILD_ROUTINE_DESCRIPTOR only if
is true (this caused crashes on 68K machines running System 7).
+ ZInput.cpp no longer disposes of UPPs created on the stack (via
+ DoubleToStr, DoubleToSciStr, and DoubleToFormStr support zero decimal digits.
+ Fixed a bug in ExtractChar ()) was used instead of &).
+ The cast functions in ZNumbers.h account for float -) int truncation.
+ Made Call_num2decl TARGET_CPU_PPC only (in ZFloatConversions.cpp).
+ Made lot’s of changes for OS 8.5. Note that this code is all wrapped in
you don’t need the 8.5 Universal Headers. If you are using the new headers
need to weak link to ControlsLib and WindowsLib. The changes include:
– ZFloatingWindow.cpp will use native floating windows if they’re installed. If
you set NATIVE_FLOATING_WINDOWS to 0 the old floating window code will be used.
– Floating windows are now hidden when modal dialogs appear. (I would
old way where floaters are merely disabled but I experienced lot’s of problems
with window activation when I tried this).
– Before using Dialog Manager dialogs and alerts you need to create a
– TWindow uses IsWindowInStandardState to compute the zoomed out window bounds.
– Added TWindow::AnimatedShow and AnimatedHide. These let you show and hide
windows with a theme specific animation.
– Moved TBuildWindowRegions into ZWindow.cpp. Added (disabled) code to replace
stuff that used TBuildWindowRegions (it’s disabled because GetWindowRegion
doesn’t seem to be working quite right in OS 8.5f2).
– TWindow uses SetWindowContentColor (so Window Manager erases window to
color instead of white).
– Added TWindow::GetContentColor and SetContentColor.
– Added support for window proxies to TDocWindow.
– TDesktop::AutoPosition uses new RepositionWindow call.
– Added TScrollBar::SetViewSize (for proportional scrollbars). (Note that with
OS 8.5f2 proportional scroll bars are only enabled if you select the smart
scrolling option). TScroller calls this as needed.
– TScrollBar uses the new live scrollbar proc type if the Appearance Manager is
installed (which means the icky code in ZThumbTracker isn’t used).
– TScrollBar and TMacControl use the 32-bit Control Manager functions.
– ZCursor.cpp uses theme cursors for non-animated cursors wherever possible.
(Appearance.h includes a function called SetAnimatedThemeCursor for animated
cursors but it can’t be called at interrupt time).
– Added commented out call to
TDragSourceMixin::OnDragStart. (It’s commented out because I’m reluctant to
include it if users can’t disable it and it’s not at all clear that the Sound
panel in the Appearance control panel handles this case (and I can’t test this
because 8.5f2 only includes the platinum theme which apparently doesn’t
include a kThemeDragSoundDragging sound)).
– TFileSystem::GetVolumeTotalBytes and GetVolumeFreeBytes use PBXGetVolInfoSync
(works better with HFS+).
– TFileSystem uses new IsAliasFile and ResolveAliasFileWithMountFlags functions
if they’re available.
+ TDocApplication::HandleOpen checks to see if the document is already
open. If it
is the document’s window is brought to the front.
+ Rewrote TDocApplication::DoAEOpenDocs and TDropApp::DoAEOpenDocs using
the new Apple
+ TApplication::HandleQuit closes floaters after regular windows (so
hidden if user cancels out of save dialog).
+ Changed TAppBootStrap::OnPositionSioux to make the SIOUX window a bit
AM’s larger window frames).
+ TEventDispatcher ensures that 0.1 seconds have passed before calling
* Changed TDocument:
– OnSave will throw if the file is checked in (using ‘CKID’ resource).
– OnSave copies the old file’s resource fork.
– OnMenuCommand treats save as save as if the file isn’t writable.
– TDocument broadcasts kDocumentDirtyChanged and kChangedDocumentFileSpec.
Made mCreator, mFileType, and mFileSpec private. Added accessors for these.
+ Renamed SWindowAttr::eraseOnUpdate eraseContent and added option to use
WindowAttr::color instead of theme brush.
+ TWindow::IsContextClick no longer calls IsShowContextualMenuClick (for
reason IsShowContextualMenuClick occasionally returns false under MacOS 8.1).
+ Changed tables:
– Weakened the THierarchicalTable::HandleSelect post condition (TSubNode’s
their contents so they don’t become selected if they’re empty).
– Added TColumnSelection.
– TTableSelection::OnTripleClick takes a cell instead of a row.
+ Worked on 2D graphing code:
– T2DGraph erases using a TEraseExtension (this makes it possible to use draw
extensions to draw “underneath” the graph).
– Added T2DGridExtension. This draws lines along the major ticks.
– Added THistogramPlot.
– Added T2DAxis::OnGetLabel.
– Tweaked TContinuousPlot::Plot so that it will draw a line when y is at x
– T2DAxis converts from floats to pixels by rounding.
– T2DGraph::AdjustGraphSize recomputes bottomSize after changing bottom
(fixes an ASSERT).
– Sped up T2DAxis::UpdateLabelWidth.
+ Added HandleDeleteCol and HandleInsertCol to TBaseTableView.
+ The HandleNewTableSize methods check the invariant on exit instead of on
entry and exit.
+ TBaseTableNode descends from TSafePtrTargetMixin.
+ TPopupMenu no longer uses NewControl to create the menu (per Tech QA TB42).
+ TMacControl::OnDraw uses DrawControlInCurrentPort if Appearance 1.1 or
seem to work properly in 1.0).
+ TFocusRectExtension only draws dimmed rings if the owner is a latent
+ TTracker will optionally call BeginThemeDragSound.
+ Added TMenu::IsSeperator.
+ Made some changes to TFileSystem:
– Replaced ResolveAlias(FSSpec) with ResolveSpec. This has a slightly different
API (hence the name change) and is based on the code in TN FL 30 “Resolving
Alias Files Quietly”. (This is only used prior to OS 8.5).
– Added HasDataFork and HasRsrcFork.
– Added IsWritable. In addition to seeing if the file can be opened with write
permission this will check to see if the volume is locked, if the file doesn’t
yet exist, and the ‘ckid’ resource.
– Added TFileSystem::LaunchApp overload that takes a TFileSpec pointing to
– Rewrote TFileSystem::ForceFinderUpdate and LaunchApp (TFileSpec, bool,
the new Apple Event classes.
+ Added TFolderSpec::GetFolder (lets you specify the FindFolder constant).
+ Made some changes to TNavigationServices:
– Added overloaded versions of ChooseObject, ChooseFile, and ChooseFolder that
allow filter objects to be specified.
– Fixed a couple of places that would throw if userCanceledErr was returned.
+ Added TKeyEvent::SetChar.
+ Added SPen::operator==.
+ Made some changes to preference handling (based on TN 1134):
– TPreferences::Init again takes a creator type.
– TDocApplication::HandleOpen calls a new method named OnOpenPref for
To be compliant with TN 1134 apps should override this and display their prefs
+ Made MPurgeable::IsPurgeable virtual. Added a comment to SetPurgeLevel
that kNormalPurgeLevel be used for most objects.
+ Ask, AnswerYes, and AnswerNo filters no longer let DefaultFilter handle
+ Changed Ask and AnswerYes non-AM alerts so that default button is at
+ Tweaked TRecordSound:
– Added work around for 5400 siLevelMeterOnOff bug.
– Switches to mic input source when running System 8.1
+ Changed profiling code:
– Added a warning to ZProfiler.h because the MetroWerk’s profiler
shorts internally so that it’s easy to cause it to overflow as numFunctions
large. This causes all manner of strange results…
– ZProfiler.cpp defines it’s own ASSERT macro (since profiling is often done in
– TProfileEnabler can now optionally disable profiling
+ Improved ZParser.h comments. Renamed TParseAggregate::CanParse OnCanParse.
Added TParseOperand (simplifies parsing constructs like “token (operand
+ Added TLexer::SkipToken.
+ TLexer optionally ignores case (when matching).
+ Added swap methods to TSimpleVector, THandle, TPointer, TTree,
TSparseArray, and TArray.
+ Added Compare template argument to TSet.
+ TMemoryHeap::Deallocate will now ASSERT if delete  is used on
+ Renamed TAllocator::ValidateHeap WalkHeap.
+ Tweaked TSimpleAllocator so that WalkHeap walks huge blocks.
+ Added a test to TAllocator unit test to time allocations in a severely
heap (in both debug and release TBestFitAllocator is 10-30x faster than
+ Added ZPointerRef::Invariant.
+ Renamed the int conversion functions (eg ShortToStr is now Int16ToStr)
+ ZGetMicroSeconds ASSERTs if time starts going backwards.
+ ZComplex.inc no longer includes xdouble.h
+ Added TGestalt::GetAppearanceVersion.
+ PowerPC byte swapping uses intrinsics instead of asm functions.
+ Searched for cast expressions and changed many of them to use the new
+ Removed HAS_BOOL.
+ Enabled STL specializations in ZTypes.h (for Pro 4).
+ RavenHeader.h defines MSIPL_DEBUG_MODE.
+ Uses MoreFiles 1.4.9
+ Added Win32 QTML changes from Loic:
– QD3D Windows draw context
– QD3D Windows file storage object
– Misc minor changes
+ Added a BatchRenamer example project.
+ Added TAEDesc, TAEList, TAERecord, TAppleEvent, and TAEToken classes (in
+ Added TMouseEnterMixin (lets panes get notified when mouse enters and
leaves the pane).
+ Created ZMath.h and inc. Includes vector and statistics template
functions (most of
the vector functions were moved from TVector).
+ Added Replace (string, string, string) to ZStringUtils.h
+ Added uint32 overload of Random.
+ Added Win implementations of BreakToDebugger and BreakStrToDebugger
+ The window editor now allows you to specify that the window doesn’t have
a zoom box.
+ Can specify whether windows will be erased with theme brush or content color.
+ Modal windows can now be resizable (note that they’ll have size boxes
Appearance Mgr 1.0.1 and above).
+ Pane edit dialog is now resizable.
+ Uses new AnimatedShow and Hide calls.
+ Popup menu id can now be set to zero if you want to start with an empty
you want to add all the items at runtime).
+ Quill pops up an alert if the file isn’t writable and not locked (if it’s
the OS will pop up an alert when the file is opened).