Another day, another lawsuit. A lawsuit filed in a U.S. District Court in Connecticut by Great Northern Insurance Company claims that Apple’s MagSafe charger, attached to a 2007 MacBook Pro, caused a major fire at a Connecticut home, reports “AppleInsider” (http://www.appleinsider.com).
According to the lawsuit, the fire marshal of the town of Glastonbury concluded that the blaze, which occurred on May 23, 2008, was caused by the “external system components” of the laptop found in the home. Great Northern has made payments in excess of $75,000 to a client after an accidental fire occurred at their family’s home, notes “AppleInsider.”
Great Northern’s lawsuit attempts to prove that the MagSafe adapter was “in a defective and unreasonably dangerous condition” due to Apple. The complaint argues that Apple “manufactured and sold the MagSafe adapter in a condition that it knew, or should have known, subjected the property of others to foreseeable and unreasonable risk of harm.”