Stairways Software today released Keyboard Maestro
version 3.1 adding clipboard history, clipboard filtering,
AppleScript execution of arbitrary actions and more.
Perth, Western Australia – 18 April 2008 – Stairways Software Pty Ltd
is pleased to announce Keyboard Maestro 3.1, the new version of its
powerful productivity enhancer for Mac OS X.
This release adds many new clipboard features including persistent
clipboard history via the new Clipboard History Switcher
(command-control-shift-V by default), actions to set or save the
clipboard, actions to filter the clipboard to apply BBEdit Text
Factories to the clipboard, and support for moving and resizing and
keeping open the various Clipboard Switchers.
This release also opens up all the powerful actions for scripting –
you can now ask Keyboard Maestro Engine to perform any action by
sending it the XML for the action.
Various actions and a number of bug fixes as documented below are
Using Keyboard Maestro’s macros you can control applications,
windows, or menus; insert text; open documents, applications or URLs;
execute scripts; control the system or iTunes; and more, all with the
touch of a key, click of the mouse, periodically or at specific
times, when an application is launched or running, or even over the
Internet using Keyboard Maestro’s built in web server.
Using Keyboard Maestro’s Program Switcher and Window Switcher you can
cycle through applications or windows, closing, hiding, launching,
and more. Keyboard Maestro can help you regain control of your
crowded screen by letting you close or hide multiple windows or
Using Keyboard Maestro’s Clipboard Switcher, you can select from a
number of named clipboards, storing information away for later
retrieval. Store the details you are working on and access them by
name again and again.
Using Keyboard Maestro’s Clipboard History Switcher, you can access
past clipboards, so you will never lose your clipboard again. It
also makes it easy to copy and paste multiple items such as username
and password or serial number without having to switch back and
forth between applications for each item.
New in Keyboard Maestro 3.1:
* Clipboard History Switcher – never lose a clipboard again.
* Added actions for setting the clipboard to specific text, named
clipboard, or previous clipboards.
* Added an action to save the clipboard to a named clipboard.
* Added clipboard filters: Remove Styles, Change line endings, change
case (including Title Case), change quotes, encode and decode HTML
entities, and count characters, words or lines.
* Added an action for applying BBEdit Text Factories to the current clipboard.
* Clipboard Switcher windows can be moved and resized and can stay
open if desired.
Other New Actions:
* Manipulate Window can now center the window on its current screen.
* Pause can now pause for fractional seconds (eg 0.75).
* Insert Text can now insert via typing simulated keystrokes.
New Scripting Support:
* Keyboard Maestro Engine’s do script now supports executing any
action based on its XML code.
* do script now waits for the action to finish before completing.
* You can ask Keyboard Maestro Engine if it is currently executing any macro.
The system clipboard is no longer restored after actions that set it
(such as Insert Text via Paste or Use Named Clipboard). This avoids
race conditions related to when the system clipboard is restored.
However, you can restore the system clipboard with the Set Clipboard
To Past Clipboard action or use the Clipboard History Switcher to
choose any past clipboard.
* Fixed crash with %CurrentClipboard% token.
* Disabled macros no longer conflict with new macro hot keys.
* Fixed a bug where the recorded click could be relative to the wrong sheet.
* Move “Check For Updates” to Keyboard Maestro menu.
* You can set the macro palette icon size with defaults write
com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine macroPalette_IconSize -int N
* Open Third Party Licenses folder from Help menu.
* Fixed bug in Time Trigger minute display.
* Defer Clipboard Switcher Copy/Cut until clipboard selection is made.
* Clicking on the paste clipboard window will re-focus it.
* Delete excluded application did not save change.
* AppleScript result display was not Unicode-savvy.
* Fixed a potential crash in with Execute AppleScript.
* Fixed an issue with time triggers and sleep.
New in Keyboard Maestro 3.0:
Keyboard Maestro 3 adds new ways to create macros, including
recording, new ways to trigger macros, including via the web, new
actions, simplifications and an improved user interface.
For information and details on what is new can be found at
Keyboard Maestro 3 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or greater, including 10.5
and is native Intel and PowerPC.
Keyboard Maestro is engineered by Stairways Software Pty Ltd and
distributed by Kagi. Keyboard Maestro is licensed on a per
workstation basis (individuals can choose to license it on a per user
New customers can purchase Keyboard Maestro from
of 50% is available for purchases of 5 or more copies, and 65% for 20
or more copies.
Keyboard Maestro 3.0.1 is a free upgrade for owners of Keyboard Maestro 3.
Keyboard Maestro 3 is a paid upgrade from previous versions.
Customers who purchased Keyboard Maestro 2 after 1 November 2007 have
been issued a free upgrade to Keyboard Maestro 3. If you have not
received your free license, you can claim your free upgrade by
looking up your Keyboard Maestro 2 purchase at
Customers who purchased Keyboard Maestro 2 between July 2004 and
October 2007 can upgrade to Keyboard Maestro 3 for US$18 until 30
June 2008. If you have not received your instructions on how to
upgrade, you can find details by looking up your Keyboard Maestro 2
Customers who have not disabled upgrade emails have been emailed with
new license or upgrade instructions as appropriate. If you have not
received your upgrade license or purchase instructions, let us know
and we will look into why you did not receive your email.
A fully-functional unlicensed trial version of Keyboard Maestro can
be downloaded from
For sales enquires, customer service, technical support, or to
contact project management, our current contact information is listed
Extensive online documentation on Keyboard Maestro can be found at
A brief taste of Keyboard Maestro in action can be found at
A more detailed tour to give you a better idea of Keyboard Maestro’s
power and versatility is available at
Video examples and tutorials of Keyboard Maestro can be found at
For more information about anything to do with Keyboard Maestro visit