FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
EASY BARCODE TECHNOLOGIES INTRODUCES EASY BARCODE PEN
Innovative USB “Highlighter” Pen Reads Barcodes Into Any Application
SEATTLE, Washington (27 April 2004) — Easy Barcode Technologies, a company
dedicated to creating innovative, user-friendly barcode solutions, today
introduced the Easy Barcode Pen, a pen-shapped scanner designed to read
barcodes into any desktop application, including FileMaker Pro, QuickBooks,
and Microsoft Excel. The Easy Barcode Pen features instant, driverless,
plug-and-play operation with any USB-based Macintosh or Windows computer,
and offers advanced customization options with the included setup booklet.
The Easy Barcode Pen offers flexible scanning capabilities and advanced
customization tools designed to meet the standards imposed by home,
corporate, and government users. Unlike a scanning “gun”, the Easy Barcode
Pen is physically small and easy to hold, allowing for efficient scanning
into any program by simply “highlighting” the barcode with the tip of the
pen. A single cable connects the device to a USB 1.1 or 2.0 port (backward
compatible for use on either), where the Barcode Pen receives power and
transmits barcodes to the frontmost program like a USB keyboard.
The new Easy Barcode Pen offers:
– Instant USB plug-and-play functionality: the Easy Barcode Pen works
on any Mac OS X or Windows-based machine by simply plugging it in —
no drivers required.
– Support for over 15 barcode symbologies, including EAN-8, EAN-13, UPC,
Bookland EAN (“ISBN barcodes”), Code 39, Code 128, I2of5 (ITF),
Industrial 2 of 5, Matrix 2 of 5, Codabar, Telepen, and MSI/Plessey.
– Impact resistant blue and ivory finish, featuring an easy-grip surface
for fast, efficient scanning.
– Extensive customization options with included booklet.
– No buttons or moving parts: nothing to trigger, simply pass the reader
over any barcode to read it into the currently running program.
– Barcode AIM Identification Mode, enabling special character output to
identify the barcode symbology for reproduction purposes.
– Special ISBN conversion mode for EAN to ISBN numeric conversions. Use
this mode for scanning ISBNs into FileMaker databases or other inventory
– Driverless barcode entry compatibility with leading development tools,
including Apple’s Project Builder and REAL Software’s REALbasic 5.5.
– International keyboard support with built-in key mappings.
– Customizable end-of-scan character, allowing the pen to automatically
confirm entries or close dialog boxes.
– Customizable audible scan indicators, built-in to the device’s casing.
System Requirements, Pricing, & Availability
The new Easy Barcode Pen requires a free USB port, along with Mac OS
X 10.1 or later (fully compatible with 10.2 and 10.3), Mac OS 9.x, or
Windows 98 2nd Edition or later. The price is $256.00 in U.S. dollars.
Shipping is $6.75 U.S. domestic, $20.00 international.
Additional product information can be obtained on the Easy Barcode
Technologies web site: (http://www.easybarcodetech.com/pen.html)
About The Company
Easy Barcode Technologies, Inc. provides easy-to-use barcoding software and
hardware for Windows-based PCs and Macs. The company’s flagship product,
Easy Barcode Creator, makes barcode creation simple for beginners and
experts alike. The software creates vector EPS graphic files that can be
used with any desktop publishing program, printed, then scanned with any
barcode scanner. The company also offers Easy Barcode Reader series
plug-and-play USB barcode scanners. (http://www.easybarcodetech.com)