November 4, 2002 – MCF Software today announced the release of ListSTAR
version 2.3, an update to its powerful and customizable list server and
e-mail manager software.
ListSTAR version 2.3 changes:
* The main folder has been renamed from ListSTAR/SMTP to ListSTAR_SMTP or
ListSTAR/POP to ListSTAR_POP. In addition, the “Message Spool/SMTP” folder
has been renamed to “Message Spool SMTP”. These changes were done to work
around a bug in the Classic Layer of MacOS X. ListSTAR now works cleanly
* When you create a new service using the templates, you will now be
prompted for the name of the list and the services and address lists will
automatically be renamed after the template completes. No more manual
* The ESC key can be used as the Cancel button in most dialogs.
* The Closed Mailing list and the Closed Moderated Mailing list templates
so that when a user switches between digest and normal mode, the switch is
* When a new template is imported, ListSTAR will now ensure that the timer
service gets triggered. Previously, ListSTAR would not run the timer until
a rule in the timer was edited.
* One error dialog referred to Quarterdeck, and now refers to MCF Software.
* ListSTAR/POP was changed so that when a timer service sends a message,
the To: field will be set to the reply-to address, if it is entered,
instead of the POP3 login name and server.
* When a message comes in with only MIME sections, any plain-text content
is saved into the message. This should fix the problem of digests that only
contain “this message is mime encoded” messages and no text.
* The Announcement list template was fixed to use the correct regular
expression in the Email Administration rule.
* The SMTP panel of the General Preferences dialog was fixed so that when
you select a double digit number of senders and/or receivers, you actually
see the number instead of “…”.
* The Address List window was fixed so that if you attempt to edit an
address list that has more than 32,000 addresses, ListSTAR no longer
crashes or hangs. A side effect of this fix is that opening address lists
should be a bit faster. I still recommend that you use an external editor
for address lists larger than 25,000 due to speed issues. This is because
ListSTAR does not actually load the address list into memory but pages it
into RAM as necessary.
* Added an option to check and limit the size of incoming attachments. This
is under the Enclosures panel of the General Preferences. You should check
the Enclosures Panel of the General Preferences to ensure that the settings
are what you want. Make sure that you click the OK button to dismiss the
dialog to ensure that the settings get saved!
* Fixed a bug in the renaming of services that was preventing an audit from
occurring and hence causing problems with other services that referenced
the service that was renamed.
ListSTAR is a powerful and completely customizable list server and e-mail
manager which can handle all kinds of e-mail like no other list server on
the market today. It can handle simple mailing lists all the way to complex
e-mail routing applications.
ListSTAR is available from the ListSTAR web site (http://www.liststar.com/)
as well as from Developer Depot
can be purchased at the ListSTAR web site.
MCF Software…simply dependably engineered
Developers of ListSTAR (http://www.liststar.com/), MacRADIUS
(http://www.macradius.com/), Address List Sorter
(http://www.mcfsoftware.com/als/) and the SimpleText Filter for EIMS