FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Power On Software Ships ACTION Files Version 1.1
New version of #1 File Utility Adds Default Folders
And User Definable Keyboard Commands
Minneapolis — September 14, 1998 — Power On Software announced that it
will begin shipping version 1.1 of ACTION Files(r) today. Winner of the
MacHome Magazine Choice Award for “Utility of the Year” for 1998, ACTION
Files offers an elegant simple, fast, and convenient way to manage and
organize files. It replaces the limited functionality and small fixed size
of the standard Macintosh Open and Save windows. ACTION Files allows users
to find, save, delete, rename, alias and open files directly in the
standard Macintosh open and save windows.
By adding the most frequently requested features, the latest version adds
even greater functionality to every application’s Open and Save Windows and
improves upon the original version’s elegant interface. In addition to
providing an array of options and speed enhancements that make accessing
and modifying files and folders a breeze, the new version adds the
* Default folders can be set for each application, eliminating the need to
manually select the location into which files should be saved and providing
uniformity that will result in better file organization.
* Users can assign keyboard commands for instantly accessing files or folders.
* New Finder Menu contains the user’s favorite and most recent files and
folders making them available with a single click.
* ACTION Files remembers window locations from one application to the next
making it easier to set up a convenient workspace.
* The drive menu now has a pop up menu indicator around it.
* Available free space is displayed next to the drive name in both the
drive menu and in the Recent and Favorites menus.
* Faster and easier access to actions on files and folders are just a
keystroke away. Instead of using the mouse to navigate through a series of
folders, holding down the shift key allows the requested option to be
performed on a file’s parent folder.
* Files or folders with the same name as existing files or folders can, at
the user’s option, be added without having to exit the application. A
simple click in the control panel is all that is needed.
* Support for applications that use multiple “Save As…” menus so that all
ACTION Files features are available in every “Save As…” window.
* Improved interface design makes ACTION Files even easier to use.
Of course, ACTION Files continues to offer the complete feature set that
has led reviewers around the world to acknowledge it as the best product in
its category. Among these features, all available from within the Open or
Save Window, without exiting the active application, are:
* Open and Save Dialog Windows can be moved or re-sized, up to the entire
screen size, if desired.
* Find files by name, size, kind, label, creation date, modification date,
file type, creator and more with a fast, proprietary search engine.
* View and sort files by name, size, date, label, and kind.
* Get Info about any file with the click of a button.
* Create new folders, make an alias or duplicate any file, or move any file
to the trash.
* View Paths of any files by just clicking on any file that has been found.
* Extensive keyboard navigation and use of Command Keys to quickly enter
* Customizable file views by font, size, selection criteria, and sort order.
* Maintain a list of recent and favorite documents and folders for rapidly
accessing your work.
* Add lists of recent and favorite files and folders to the Open and Save
As menus of applications for instantaneous access (without using an “Open”
or “Save As…” Dialog.
* Unique Finder Menu that permits you to close specified folders in the
* Automatic rebound feature returns you to previous selection.
* Compatibility control ensures you can run all your favorite applications.
* Full-featured manual and interactive Electri-Guide(tm) provide state of
the art documentation.
In this release, Power On has implemented a new technology called
Some-Ware(tm). Greg Dalen, Product Manager, explained that “Traditionally,
software demo’s were limited either in duration or features. With
Some-Ware, product demos are fully functional for thirty days, but even at
the end of that time, we do not render the software useless. Although many
features may be disabled, the user may freely continue to use some of the
most beneficial features until s/he is ready to purchase it. With
Some-Ware, Power On won’t leave you No-Ware.(sm)”
In response to questions from users regarding how ACTION Files differs from
Apple’s future Navigation Services, John Wallace, Power On’s President,
offered this cautionary note. “In designing ACTION Files, we have made it
our goal to provide more functionality than Apple’s planned Navigation
Services and to make certain that all users could have this power now.
Sadly, Apple’s implementation will require each product to be rewritten,
and we all know how long it has taken for vendors to update their software
in the past to take advantage of Apple technology. In some instances, Apple
never followed through with a technology and developers and customers were
left with nothing to show for their pioneering spirit. Even worse, users
will need to buy upgrades of all existing products to take advantage of
Apple’s technology, whereas we can offer this power now, without users
needing to spend a nickel to upgrade any software.”
ACTION Files is available through Macwarehouse, MacZone, and dealers
worldwide, or directly from Power On Software. In addition, electronic
distribution is available through Cyberian Output, BUYDIRECT.com and
Download.com. The suggested retail price of ACTION Files is $49.95. Former
Now Utilities customers may upgrade for $29.95, and owners of version 1.0
may download a free upgrade from the ACTION Utilities web site at:
Power On Software, Inc. was founded in 1993 and has been active in the
development of successful products such as Now Utilities by Now Software,
Speed Doubler by Connectix, and Network SuperVisor and CopyRight Pro by CSG
Technologies. It also offers a line of leading academic and corporate
products including On Guard(tm), LAN Commander(tm), and Screen To
Screen(tm). Also, Power On Software has purchased the Now Utilities product
line from QUALCOMM Incorporated and offers sales and support for Now
Utilities customers around the world.
Editorial Contact: Robert Leeds
Director of Public Relations
Power on Software