FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 18, 1999
PhoneTech 1.0 released
Powerful Macintosh Phone Utility
Karl Bunker and Iron Software announce the release of a new utility
that will ease the life of anyone who makes phone calls while working
at their Mac.
PhoneTech is a versatile utility that provides many powerful
phone-related technologies that usually require expensive software,
special hardware, or both.
Working through any ordinary modem, PhoneTech provides the following features:
* Includes a compact and easy to use "Phone Book" with which you can
store any number of names and phone numbers for quick access.
* "Keep trying" technology: if the line is busy or there is no
answer, PhoneTech can retry the number periodically until you get
through. You don't even have to pick up the phone until you're
* System wide hotkey allows you to switch instantly between your
modem (for dialing) and your phone (for speaking) from within any
application. Work at your Mac in comfort while PhoneTech toils in the
background getting through to your party.
* Voice mail macros: fight automated phone answering systems with
your own automation! Do you call companies that require you to press
1, then press 3, then enter your 16-digit account number, then enter
your 5-digit password? Now you can "script" the process and do it all
with one mouse click.
* A call timer can show you the accumulated time of phone calls, with
an option to automatically time only long distance calls.
* Keep notes on each entry in your PhoneTech phone book; these notes
can be easily updated, automatically date-stamped, and up to 32K long.
* Sophisticated "import" feature allows you to transfer names and
phone numbers from other databases to the PhoneTech phone book.
* "Listen In" feature turns your modem into a one-way speaker phone.
If you're put on hold, you can use this to listen in on the line
without holding the receiver to your ear.
* Automatic translation of text phone numbers, such as "1-800-SOS-APPL".
* Integration with Qualcomm's Now Contact(tm), so that Now Contact
can automatically use PhoneTech, with its "keep trying" feature and
other capabilities, to dial phone numbers.
* And, as they say, "much more!"
Virtually everyone who spends any time at a Mac has to make phone
calls while they work. Some do this only occasionally, while others
make calls constantly as part of their job. Either way, the process
can be made vastly more convenient and less troublesome, without
having to learn a complex new hardware or software system, for the
vanishingly small investment of $20.00.
Minimum requirements for PhoneTech are any Mac with a 68020 processor
or better (includes all Power Macs) running System 7.1 or later, a
modem and a phone on the same line as the modem.
PhoneTech costs only $20.00. A demo version is available immediately
for free downloading. This version is complete and not disabled in
any way; registered customers receive a code to turn off "please
PhoneTech is available from the Iron Software Web site at the URL
given below. It will be appearing in the major Macintosh ftp sites
and other download sources shortly.
Karl Bunker has been a Macintosh developer and contract programmer
since 1993. He has produced a wide range of highly acclaimed and
award winning software for the Mac, including MultiTimer Pro,
Neatnik, and FloorTiles.